Diet Post Bone Marrow Transplant
What is Bone Marrow Transplant?
A bone marrow transplant is a medical procedure performed to replace the bone marrow that has been damaged or destroyed by a disease, infection. This process involves transplanting blood stem cells, which travel to the bone marrow where they produce new blood cells and promote growth of new marrow.
Things to keep in mind for diet Post Bone Marrow Transplant:
It is always advisable to cook fresh food preferably, pressure cooked so that it is 100% sterilized.
- Food to avoid
- Points to remember while consuming Meats , Poultry, Eggs, Fish
- Raw or uncooked meat and poultry
- Smoked or cured meats such parma ham or salami
- Raw and soft cooked eggs such as homemade mayonnaise or sauces
- Smoked, raw or lightly cooked fish or smoked salmon.
- Shellfish should be avoided
- Milk and milk products
- All unpasteurized dairy products including parmesan cheese , milk etc.
- Soft ripend cheeses such as brie, goat’s cheese.
- Soft / unsealed ice-creams sold by vendors.
- Vegetables and fruits
- Unpeeled vegetables
- Damaged or over-riped vegies
- Unwashed fruits and vegetables
- Fresh mushrooms
- Raw sprouts (like beans, alfafa etc.)
- Non-pasteurised fruits and vegetables juice or smoothies
- Raw and dried fruits like dates or raisins (same can be consumed by cooking in Porridge etc.)
- Bottled, mineral water or spring water,water from wells,coolers etc
- Sun tea
- Kombucha tea
- Uncooked nuts and dry fruits
- Uncooked herbs,spices,peppers
- Unpasteurised farm fresh honey
- Olives and other counter foods
- Food Alternatives (Food one can eat)
- Kefir and yogurt are safe to eat
- Cooked cheese
- Tinned meats
- Well-cooked fish
- Hard boiled eggs
- Pasteurized milk,soya milk and cheese products
- Vacuum packed hard cheese
- Well cooked good quality vegetables (peeled ones)
- Pasteurized smoothies
- Tinned and well cooked fruits and dry fruits.
- Cooled boiled water is the best solution for water safety
One should keep care of the above mentioned food diet after bone marrow transplant. Hygiene should be maintained for patient by the care giver and each and every food item should be selected wisely.As good nutrition is important for gaining strength after transplant, proper recipes should be followed guided by doctor and cleanliness must be maintained.